Monday, January 19, 2009

Words from a Recessionista

Current overused cliche: "In these tough economic times..."

You'll hear it everywhere: in political speeches, as an excuse for layoffs and foreclosures, on PSAs. Does it play out at, say, McDonald's? "In these tough economic times, I've decided to not supersize that Number 4."
At family gatherings? "In these tough economic times, it has been determined that we're going to have to downsize this family. Uncle Bob, that means you can come to parties, but you can't eat anything or watch tv. Aunty Linda, you're out."
With relationships? "In these tough economic times, Robert, I can't afford to spend any more energy watching WWE with your loser friends."
I'm going to start using it anytime someone is going to get shafted.

I've also decided to do my part to cut back by not looking up anything myself anymore. I will exist on hearsay, rumor, and speculation. And blogs. Second-hand information: the new reuse and recycle.

7 comments:

  1. Editing out entire family members would be a good line to add to the stimulus package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SInce you now exist on rumor and speculation, there is breaking news at this hour. A black man has become president. And Hitler has returned from the dead to battle him in a zombie VS black president showdown which will decide the fate of Earth.

    And Punahou sucks. That my friend is a fact no one can deny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I think most people operate that way already. In fact, this island is fueled by second-hand information. You late to the speculation bandwagon plush-toy momma! Can you believe all the time you've been wasting on fact-checking in these tough economic times?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We want next post!
    And in the meantime, did you see this?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/opinion/18intro.html?_r=2
    (particularly the one by Lois-Ann Yamanaka)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So. I recently realized I totally spaced our potential Thursday adventure amidst my job change craziness and dealing with TEET (as Iike to call "these tough economic times":)

    But the good news is I'm still usually fairly free on Thursdays, so just gimme a calll or whatever for future mayhem with or without the sidekicks. And have fun with the veggies...I'm totally jealous...I have vegetal-envy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, so it's TTET (or TETET if you add "extremely"). My (obviously profane) brain is fried and I can't spell. This is not news. That's what I get for "publishing" a comment...dur.

    ReplyDelete