Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hey, you crazy kids


I’ve recently figured out that, pop culture-wise, I’m in a weird demographic: too old to define what’s cool, too young to be the thing youth rebels against, not enough money to buy anything significant, and I have small children, which makes it difficult to be underground or alternative. Being in this non-space does afford the opportunity to observe what’s around you, much like how the girl with the “good personality” can make all kinds of snarky observations as boys hit on her cheerleader friend. I actually lived that, though I didn’t have any cheerleader friends. But back to my point. When nobody’s talking to you, you can do a lot of observing.

Case in point, the term du jour: “newest Internet craze,” or “newest craze sweeping the Internet.” I love that it sounds like Ed Sullivan, Fox News, a medical condition, and Perez Hilton all rolled into one. FYI, bed jumping (http://www.hotelsbycity.net/blog/bed-jump/) is just one Internet Craze: please hold onto something, lest you get swept away.

No comments:

Post a Comment